Saturday, February 26, 2011

Just Breathe

My long runs are getting faster and swimming is getting easier.

On Monday we did a swimming drill that we had done before last semester as well. You swim 300 yards (12 lengths of a 25 yd pool), taking one breath every 3 strokes for the first 100, one breath every 5 strokes for the second 100, and one breath every 3 strokes again for the last 100. It's still most comfortable for me to breathe every 2 strokes, so when our instructor outlined the drill last semester, I was terrified. Once you panic and tense up, you start using more oxygen, which makes the drill even more challenging. This semester I did just fine, it wasn't scary anymore, and it wasn't that hard. I have yet to master the 1 breath drill though. You get to take one breath during the 25m length, ideally in the middle. You can breathe at the start of the lap as well. I can always make the first 1/2 on one breath, but I have to sneak in a second before I reach the wall.

I've been quite negligent with biking lately. Next week will be no exception as I will be in San Diego for a conference, and thus without a bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment