Monday, January 31, 2011

Half2Run

The Triathlon Club helped time the University of Michigan swimming and diving teams at a meet this weekend. They are amazing athletes. The women can swim 1000m in the same time it takes me to swim 500 yards. We even got to see some platform diving, which takes more guts than I'll ever have.

My first half marathon this year is coming up in a few weeks, and I wanted to bring attention to a challenge I signed up for towards the end of last year, half2run. Members of half2run have a common goal of running a 1/2 marathon (13.1 Miles) in at least half of the states. I expect it will take me 6 or 7 years to finish, but it's a fun goal, and a good way to explore more of the country. This year I should be taking care of Florida, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Michigan. For the other races I'm going to focus on the coasts and west, basically places with mountains. Two races I will certainly be doing are the Pikes Peak Accent and the Humboldt Redwoods half marathon. I attempted the Pikes Peak half in 2008 and was not allowed to summit, due to bad weather. I want a rematch. I've been dreaming of running between the redwoods since I first saw the race profiled in Runners World many years ago. Hopefully I'll have the resources to get to Hawaii and Alaska during this mission as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment